Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:21 pm 

I'm just wondering about this one, 'coz the product key from the windows sticker attached on every workstation is different from the the product key that open audit's query. and when i check the list of the of the product key, it queries 4 different product key. i also noticed that when i check 5 computers, they have the same product key in the audit. I also use a other software the siw sysinfo tool to check if there's a bugs with the system, but the product key result in this software is the same with the open audit. Is there anyone can help me why is this happens?coz i'm still wondering. thanks a lot..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

I am guessing you have not re-installed Windows on these PCs.
They are the same as when they arrived form the factory...

Large manufacturers use a single key to install Windows on their systems. Can you imagine the cost of manually inputting a unique key for every system they ship ! So, if you ever run the "system recovery" or similar software, you use the key on the sticker. That's all it is. OA and other software that reports on the key, see the key that Windows was actually installed with - not the sticker on the box.

From Factory == factory install key.
After Recovery CD (or whatever) == key from sticker on outside of box.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:45 pm 

A small point, if you re-install using the Manufacturers key (i.e. the one currently reported by OA), it may not work with the Restore CD, you will have to use the key on the sticker.

This is because the key on the sticker matches the recovery CD. If it does work with the manufacturers key, then you can probably install this key on any machine, (not legally of course), as it is a Volume License key or similar. The manufacturers key may be from an entirely different media set however, and this would make it unusable with the recovery CD.

This can lead to some head scratching... :?

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:49 pm 

Ahh, ok..thanks for the feedback..You mean to say that the manufacturer's input a standard windows key or should i say, "hacked one".. But anyway thanks. Also before i forgot, can you help me on how can i run this OA automatically? For example, when the user log on into the domain, open audit, will automatically audit the computer at a certain time and date, coz right now, i'm managing it in my laptop, not in our domain. I just want to ask if it is possible to link our domain and my laptop when auditing?coz i dont know the exact script that i will create to do that. thanks.. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:19 pm 

[quote="chorskie"]Ahh, ok..thanks for the feedback..You mean to say that the manufacturer's input a standard windows key or should i say, "hacked one".. But anyway thanks. Also before i forgot, can you help me on how can i run this OA automatically? For example, when the user log on into the domain, open audit, will automatically audit the computer at a certain time and date, coz right now, i'm managing it in my laptop, not in our domain. I just want to ask if it is possible to link our domain and my laptop when auditing?coz i dont know the exact script that i will create to do that. thanks.. :)

If you are a domain admin, or have access to a domain box as domain admin, then you can run a scheduled domain audit from there.

Set the following options in the audit.config..

[code]
strComputer = ""
audit_local_domain = "y"
random_order = true
local_domain = "LDAP://yourdomain.local" <<===== set this to the local fully qualified domain name
[/code]

Once you have this running, set up a batch file something like....

[code]
@echo off
cscript audit.vbs
[/code]

... and call this batch file from the scheduled tasks (run the task as the domain admin)

That's about it. You will also need to ensure the firewalls on both ends don't block WMI access (Google this, or look elsewhere in these forums).

I have this running on each primary domain controller, and it works very well.

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:45 am 

An alternative way of auditing all computers is to force them to run
audit.vbs
as a Startup script. This is set in the Group Policy for the domain. You're going to need to run
firewall_enable.vbs
on every single stinkin' computer anyway, so why not do audit at the same time?

There is one slight advantage to doing it this way: it should be a little less resource intensive. To ensure that you're getting all your computers with a domain scan, you have to scan regularly throughout the day to capture any computers that weren't powered up during your last scan. So you're making your client computers work a little harder by doing scans more often. With a Startup script, you're doing scans on demand -- should be a little more efficient.

Cheers.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]