Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:54 am 
Contributor

Greeting from Cambridge MA-

I've been using WINVentory for almost 2 years now here at work and it is running like a true champion. I'm thinking of stepping up to Open-Audit and I have a couple of questions. I did search through the first couple of pages on each forum but didn't find all of my answers so here goes:

How does the latest OA handle re-deployed or re-imaged computers? I know in WINVentory it just added them to the database and I have to go through every once in a while and delete these old systems. This makes it difficult to get a truly accurate software count. Is there any improvement here? We are interested in having more accurate software metering and if this has been improved than my decision is very easy.

Is anybody using WAMP server? That's what I'm still using on WINVentory and it was oh so easy to get up and running so I hope it's still a good option.

Thank you very much!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:40 am 
Site Admin

Not sure about the first question...
If you're using the MAC or UUID for an identifier, then they would stay the same, even though you have re-imaged. In that case, I would assume that the old machine will NOT be removed from the DB, because OA simply assumes you have changed the existing machine (somewhat correctly).
If you were using the domainname\pcname for an identifier, and this did change when you re-imaged, I would assume a 'new' machine would be inserted into the DB. In that case, you would have to manually remove the old machine. If the domainname\pcname stayed the same, see the first option...

There is an option (I think - search the forums) to delete PCs that have not been audited in xx days - maybe that could help.

I have tested in the past with the "server" from PortableApps - you can run Apache, PHP and MySQL (on Windows) from your PC, or even it's usb stick (which you can take to another machine) - pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:03 am 
Contributor

Thanks for the info Mark. The majority of our users are remote but I could run more frequent scans and then delete systems that haven't been audited in something like 6 months. I can also continue to manually delete ones that I know have been renamed and/or reimaged. That should work fine. I'm planning to start testing soon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:26 am 

[quote="shanimal"]Greeting from Cambridge MA-
...Is anybody using WAMP server? That's what I'm still using on WINVentory and it was oh so easy to get up and running so I hope it's still a good option.

I tend to use XAMPP 'cos it is even easier to set up. (But I have used WAMP Server)

If you want to continue using both Winventory and Openaudit, you should be able to do so.

Furthermore, you can probably use the existing WAMP server to also run openaudit if you want, simply create a new folder on the WAMP box, in the htdocs or html folder (the same folder where your existing winventory folder lives) called openaudit.

Extract the downloaded version of openaudit into this folder and set it up by loading http://{theservername}/openaudit

For best results update this with the SVN version (see the FAQ section for instructions on how to do this).

If you run into trouble, post a question here, and we will sort it out :D .

[size=85]OA Server: Windows XP/ XAMPP, Mandriva/Apache, Ubuntu
Auditing: 300+ Wstns, 20+ Srvrs, Thin clients, Linux boxes, Routers, etc
OS's: Windows XP , W2K Srvr, W2K3 Srvr, W2K8, Vista, Windows 7, Linuxes (and a Mac at home)
LDAP: Active Directory[/size]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]