Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Maps
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:31 am 
Helper

Mark,
Your link in the New Maps post to "http://www.open-audit/network_maps.php" doesn't work. Should it be pointing to the open-audit.org domain?
They are very nice maps BTW, like the LAN one especially!

John

4 Windows 2003 Servers
20 Windows XP workstations
1 Windows 7 workstation
2 Ubuntu 11.10 servers
Misc other networked items

Post subject: Re: New Maps
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:25 am 
Contributor

They are very nice. How did you create them?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:02 am 
Site Admin

Ahh - that's the secret sauce !!!
I used Inkscape for the graphic, and my creative genius.
Seeing as the code is all html and javascript, anyone can download the maps from the site, and alter them to their own network. Then all you would have to do would be to create the diagram. The icons are from Tango (although some I made myself). There is no link back into Open-AudIT on those demo maps, but if you look at the code, you can see it is easy to do (the <a> tags are already there). As for them being dynamic from Open-AudIT, I have php code for that here, but it's still a rather manual process, first time round.

That's why I am offering to create these for people. They are not a simple 'click here for a map' type thing. Send me the details of what you would like, and I can send you a quote. Upon acceptance and payment, you will receive a completed map (with links into Open-AudIT, and dynamic data), along with the original SVG from Inkscape.

I think they look great - I like them better than the Visio type diagrams. I have icons for specific servers too - database, mail, file, print, etc, etc. If you have any equipment that I don't have an icon for, a photo will suffice - I can create one based on that. If you look at the WAN diagram, the NTU icons were created by looking at their photos...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:56 am 

I gotta say, the maps are really cool. However, I don't want to pay you to do them for me - I want to learn to do them myself :)

I have a long way to go, though, as I am a PHP/SQL newbie. I still have to upgrade Open-Audit to the latest version, as well as learn how to customize it to add a couple additional fields, as well as how to write my own queries, etc...

So, if you (Mark) or someone wants to write a how-to for the newbies like me on how to create these maps (or any other beginner how-to's), that'd be great... if not, though, I wanted to at least pipe in and say thanks for your hard work on a really cool project!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]