Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:57 am 

Hi,

Why is it that some machines don't have a valid uuid, they report "FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF"?

I like to use: [code]uuid_type = "uuid"[/code]
Would it break anything if in case of missing UUID it would be generated from the mac address. Here's an example from microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302467 (#Programmatically Determine NetbootGUID Value).

If it is OK to modify the UUID like that I could submit a patch myself. I just like to know whether this would cause any bad consequences down the chain.

Thanks!

Sorry if it has been discussed already, with search I get "The following words in your search query were ignored: ffffffff-ffff-ffff-ffff-ffffffffffff." :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:05 am 
I believe it would work great. I believe an invalid UUID can also be all zero's, not just all F's. Check that against the WMI docs. The only issue that could happen with this is that the order of network cards change or something like that, but that's less trouble than this currently is. I can't quite recall, but I seem to remember that we may handle the case of no UUID somewhere? Correct me if I'm wrong. In any case, submit a patch with your changes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

Check the audit.config file.
In there is a variable uuid_type.
This can be set to mac (for mac address), uuid (for the motherboard uuid) or name (for the systemname.domainname).
By default (on line 553 of audit.vbs) if a uuid is all F's (or a few other combinations - have a look), it should revert to systemname.domainname.

Mark.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:51 am 

[quote="Mark"]By default (on line 553 of audit.vbs) if a uuid is all F's (or a few other combinations - have a look), it should revert to systemname.domainname.

Cool! That's just it, I didn't notice that code. My problem was that I just don't like the systemname.domainname, so I replaced it with the mac version as per ms doc:

[code]
' Defaults below here account for oddities
if ((isnull(system_uuid) OR system_uuid = "") AND (system_model <> "") AND (system_id_number <> "")) then system_uuid = "00000000-0000-0000-0000-"&Replace(net_mac_uuid, ":", "") end if
if (isnull(system_uuid) OR system_uuid = "" OR system_uuid = ".") then system_uuid = "00000000-0000-0000-0000-"&Replace(net_mac_uuid, ":", "") end if
if system_uuid = "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" then system_uuid = "00000000-0000-0000-0000-"&Replace(net_mac_uuid, ":", "") end if
if system_uuid = "FFFFFFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFF-FFFFFFFFFFFF" then system_uuid = "00000000-0000-0000-0000-"&Replace(net_mac_uuid, ":", "") end if
[/code]

Thanks a bunch!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:13 pm 

Hi again.

I understand implementing this change in openaudit now would create lots of duplicate entries in current installations so is infeasible.

However there's been talk about openaudit2. Are the unknown (ffff and 0000) uuid values there implemented as 0000+MAC or systemname.domainname? I rather prefer the MAC based solution.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:37 am 
Site Admin

I don't have the code handy, but I'm pretty sure it's UUID+systemname+domainname.
All that does is determine if the system is unique.
All systems actually (in OAv2) have an incrementing unique ID column, in the database.
On the pages to show a system, you can input the unique ID (web pages link like this by default), or the MAC (any MAC on the system), or the system name.
for example, to show a suystem in the OAv2, the page could be called by
index.php/display_system/21 or
index.php/display_system/12345678 (mac address) or
index.php/display_system/systemname

FYI - I usually remove index.php with an Apache rule.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:42 am 

[quote="Mark"]I don't have the code handy, but I'm pretty sure it's UUID+systemname+domainname.
All that does is determine if the system is unique.

The problem I've had is that a domain migration or adding a PC to a domain changes it's name. Creating a new entry and making the old one obsolete. The MAC version works better. However, it's not really ideal either.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

[quote]The problem I've had is that a domain migration or adding a PC to a domain changes it's name. Creating a new entry and making the old one obsolete. The MAC version works better. However, it's not really ideal either.

I appreciate that - but what can we use that does not change for a system ?
What we _should_ be able to use is the UUID of the motherboard. That's what it's for, but some OEM's do not actually fill this out. Hence, you can choose to use that (Dell and Lenovo for example use it "correctly"), or you can use systemname+domain or you can use MAC Address. Choose what's best for your environment. If none fit, apologies, but what can you suggest we do ?

UUID's are not correctly used by (some) manufacturer's.
System names change.
MAC Addresses change (particularly if they're VMware systems that have the VMware Tools upgraded).

(Please don't take the above as offensive - it's been a lloonngg day !!!) :-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:56 pm 

[quote="Mark"]MAC Addresses change (particularly if they're VMware systems that have the VMware Tools upgraded).

(Please don't take the above as offensive - it's been a lloonngg day !!!) :-)

None taken. I had a look on the net and the suggestions were to use Bios and Baseboard SerialNumber property which are usually empty when the UUID is all zeroes of FFFF's anyway. Not much use.

I was wondering if some unique id could be obtained from Windows Genuine Advantage or whatever the hell the name of the anti piracy software is. If nothing else then that should have a unique id.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

[quote]I was wondering if some unique id could be obtained from Windows Genuine Advantage or whatever the hell the name of the anti piracy software is. If nothing else then that should have a unique id.

If we could get that info - might be an option. Will see what I can find out. Only concern would be "ghosted" machines with Corporate licenses... not sure there.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]