Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:59 pm 

It would appear that there is an issue when identifying (at least) Office 2010 (64-bit) license keys via audit_windows 1.8.2. We have compared the results of this against Belarc, which seems to correctly identify the things.

The issues I've noticed are that:

1) The version is identified incorrectly
2) The license key is identified incorrectly

As I say, Belarc is managing to identify it all correctly, but not Open-Audit.

Does anyone have any ideas, or experiencing this as well?

We're looking to use OA to manage our Windows PCs in the office, but this is a major sticking point ATM.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:19 am 

The audit_windows.vbs script tries to decode the version info and key from the subkeys at "SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Registration" and "SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Registration". It uses a the lookup table around line 7297 in the script.

The current script will find 32bit Office installed on a 32bit or 64bit machine when run from a 32bit cscript. We don't have 64bit Office installed here so I'm not sure what the registry keys look like. Given that I don't think a 32bit cscript audit will find 64bit Office.

It all depends on the registry keys above. Review yours and see what's happening. Don't post them as they probably contain your MAK key.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:40 am 

Hi,

It's using the right registry keys as far as I can tell...

Identifying the wrong version of Office I can live with (mainly) but the wrong product key is an issue.

I have found that https://code.google.com/p/msoffice-prod ... decoder.py will conveniently, correctly identify the product key for the Office Product installed; which is the same as the one Belarc says but different from audit_windows.vbs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:15 am 

OA works for me decoding our 32bit Office 2010 MAK. How is OpenAudit getting your Office version wrong? Wrong edition? Old version? Obviously OpenAudit is doing something wrong but it's hard to tell from your post. What do you get in the "<software_keys>" section of you audit file? Does anything look good in there?

[code]cscript audit_windows.vbs submit_online=n create_file=y[/code]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:57 am 
Site Admin

Please also read [url]https://community.opmantek.com/display/OA/Information+about+software+keys[/url] and make sure what you are seeing in Belarc is _actually_ the CD/Product Key.
FYI - If the product is using a Volume License Key no product can retrieve it -at all. Again, please see the wiki article.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:04 pm 

So, maybe not so obvious that OpenAudit isn't getting it correct unless you do find the Belarc stuff is the proper key.

OpenAudit will find the volume license key for a MAK key activated Office 2010 installation but not a KMS activated one. So it's not as hopeless as Mark indicates; at least in my experience. We have MAK activated Office 2010 and the key OpenAudit retrieves is identical to our Open Value key I used to activate Office.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:48 pm 

I double-checked with the COA and the one Belarc is finding is correct and it's correctly identifying it as Home & Business 2010; likewise the Python script I posted is finding the same one as Belarc (but gets the product wrong) - the only thing that is not finding it correctly is audit_windows.vbs which gets both the key and the software type wrong.

Therefore, it would definitely imply that it's a problem in the audit_windows.vbs script...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:06 pm 

SO, if I comment out the lines about "isWin8" then it seems to work fine on my Windows 7 machine...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:28 am 

jpa hack and slash of bottom decoder [url=http://www.fixitscripts.com/problems/view-microsoft-office-product-keys]here[/url].

What does this give you?

[attachment=0] audit_windows.txt [350.95 KiB]
Downloaded 362 times

Script needs to be updated and tested against just-released versions of Windows and Office.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:43 pm 

I'll take a look at that when I have 5-10 mins spare...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]