Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:43 am 
Site Admin

What have I been up to of late?
Things in my personal life are "interesting" at the moment.
I start a new job on Monday, so have been winding down my existing role.
I have badly damaged my back muscles and have trouble bending, standing or even sitting for any length of time.
Lying down is OK :D

I have been doing some minor work on OAv2 as coding for any longer than an hour isn't very good for me.
I am finalising the other items definition, display and edit pages. Completion of that and another item or two will result in v8 being released.
It will be v8 because there will be DB upgrades. Minor ones and this time I promise to actually, you know, TEST it! :lol:

I have also purchased a virtual private server and am in the process of migrating to a Wordpress site with forums. I will try to migrate user accounts from phpBB, but no guarantees. Yes, I will keep the old forums around, but they will be locked (read only). The new site will also (eventually) have a demo instance of OAv2, a new theme (thanks JPA), a real downloads page and the finalising of Open-AudIT being archived in favour of OAv2 being front and centre.

Lots to do and injury getting in the way :x

So, apologies for the (seemingly) lack of progress. Bear with me and things will get going again soon.

Post subject: Re: Update
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am 

[quote="Mark"]I have badly damaged my back muscles and have trouble bending, standing or even sitting for any length of time.
Ooh, I've done that. Or something close. No fun. Hope you get better but it usually takes time.

[quote="Mark"]...finalising of Open-AudIT being archived in favour of OAv2 being front and centreGreat. This should cut down on the requests from new users of OpenAudit v1 struggling with it's age and the complexity of some of its features. Although you do need to have OAv2 in a usable state as well. :D

Good luck with the new job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:46 pm 

Good luck with the recovery Mark - I've recently had a discectomy in a bid to cure my long standing back issues - I feel your pain (literally!). Rest while staying reasonably active and seeing a good physio is key.

Good luck also with the new job - how does this affect OA, as from what I can tell your old employer supported your development, right?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:41 am 
Helper

Mark,
Just wanted to add my commiserations on the injury and best wishes for the new job. Hope it goes as well as OAv2!

John

4 Windows 2003 Servers
20 Windows XP workstations
1 Windows 7 workstation
2 Ubuntu 11.10 servers
Misc other networked items

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 am 
Site Admin

[quote="jpa"]how does this affect OA, as from what I can tell your old employer supported your development, right?

My old employer was/is (last day today) a department of the Queensland Government. They use OAv2 to audit their ~5,000 desktops. They were supportive of OAv2 but I was not permitted to write actual code while at work. I could develop reports and groups. Those were classed as "using" the program, not developing it. I could also make notes on bugs as I found them. This was to prevent code ownership issues from possibly arising. So yes they were supportive to an extent :D I believe they will continue to use OAv2 after I have left.

I don't think my new role will involve me in a position to use OAv2. Not an issue, other that I wont have a large "test set" for bugs :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:08 am 

Mark,
Ouch, sorry to hear about the injuries. I can relate, about 15 years ago I had a jetski accident and shattered my ankle and tweaked my back. Still limp around like a penguin with a bum flipper even today... Looking forward to OAv2, take your time and don't over do...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:54 am 
Contributor

Add me to the list of feeling your pain. @ 10 years ago was diagnosed with a slipped disk in my lower back L5. Been living with it since. I hope you are feeling better.

As things quiet down where I work for the holidays, I plan to roll out OAv2. Thank you for all the hard work. JPA and the others too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]