Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: beta7 released
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

OK, so I snuck beta7 up to Launchpad on the weekend. I couldn't get the XAMPP version to upload. It would go to about 85% then timeout :cry:

There's only one DB change so this one should be quite smooth.

There's a few additions. I haven't finished "other" items yet - but they should be safe enough to use. Just bear in mind that this will change, so don't rely on it too much. Just play with it :D

You can access the application via POST and GET now. username and password are the magic variables. Example GET request [code]http://localhost/index.php/report/8/8/username/YOURUSERNAME/password/YOURPASSWORD[/code] If you're nervous about putting your credentials in the URL, use HTTPS. I tested the POST items using WGET. Seemed to work fine for me.

RSS feeds are capable using the URL format above (use your username + password) and put /rss on the end of the URL. They will only work on Reports that have timestamps as a column. A button will appear on suitable reports next to the other "export" type buttons.

You can export to JSON the same as XML, HTML, CSV, etc, etc - just make /json the final item of the URL.

If you're an Admin in the application, you have a small button (near the Logout button) for Debug. It will turn on the CodeIgniter debug items. They will appear at the bottom of the page.

I've altered every model PHP file to make sure they're all consistent in terms of code format. Stuff like opening bracket position, etc, etc - boring stuff really but it makes the code consistent and readable.

Any Locations now have the option to create a Group based on it. Check the Admin -> Locations -> List Locations page. Organisations work the same (they were done for beta6).

I've changed the view PHP file for v_system_display to v_display_system. I'll be creating a view per "type" of item in the DB. I have currently done "printers", but this will change. I plan to create a few default views, but I plan to store the definitions for a particular type of system in the DB and dynamically create the view based on that. Hence what I mentioned above - don't rely on "other" items like your life depends on it at this stage... they will change.

If you have SNMP enabled in your PHP installation, when you submit an audit with details of a network printer, the processing PHP page will query the network printer for it's manufacturer, model and serial. This is new and experimental, but seems to work OK. It will only do this for new printers. Personally, I just deleted our 450 or so network printers and let it run again. There may be time-out issues in the VBScript. If so, please advise. I've already had to alter my script time-out because our print servers contain over a hundred printers each. If you have trouble, just post. It uses a community read string of "public" and uses SNMP v2. Because of those basic things it won't retrieve every detail perfectly. Printers have v1, v2c and v3 SNMP, they store items in different locations, in different formats (STRING and HEX) or not at all. SNMP is a pain. I do plan to expand upon the SNMP functionality though - first with colour and duplex capability, then for other items (think anything else with SNMP).

There's an option in audit_windows.vbs to attempt to ping a system before an audit is attempted. It is turned off by default, but works fine. It requires Windows XP and above to run but will not attempt to run if you do use Win 2000.

I'll add anything else I've done in here (am sure there's other bits I've neglected to mention).

Grab it from here - [url]https://launchpad.net/oav2/trunk/beta7[/url]

Any feedback appreciated.
Mark.

Post subject: Re: beta7 released
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:00 am 

Trivial and been there a while but the Reports menu shows a "Running Sumary" report which besides having a spelling error doesn't seem to be hooked up to anything. It links to "index.php/report/running_summary/" and if I understand correctly there should be something in the report controller for running_summary but there is not. If it's future planned infrastructure then there's a spelling error at least.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Admin

Thanks JPA. That's a custom report for work. I've removed it and released 7.1.
Also there are disk use graphs. When you view a System, go to the partitions and you'll see an icon. Click it.
The Network Printers Group now displays the serial on the Group listing page, too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:52 pm 

Thanks for Beta 7, I do like the graphs for disk usage and the SNMP will be very handy.

I am having problems with the GET, RSS etc to work; I just get a blank screen. I do substitute my username and password accordingly.

If I sign in, go to a report and middle click on the RSS link it opens up fine in a new tab and looks great. If I then copy and paste this RSS link (changing password) into a different browser or feed demon or Outlook it does not work.

I think the one that works is just using the existing authentication from the other tab to run as I can change the username and password to be whatever I want and it will still run, in fact when I first click the RSS link it puts "password/YOUR_PASSWORD/rss" as the password and runs fine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:54 pm 
I just downloaded 7.1 and did a fresh clean install. Everything loads fine, however when I go to the about page it says that I'm running version beta6 and that I need to upgrade the database. When I go to upgrade the DB it give me the following error:

[code]
A Database Error Occurred
Error Number: 1060
Duplicate column name 'location_group_id'
ALTER TABLE oa_location ADD location_group_id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0'
[/code]
any thoughts as to what I should do as it appears that field already exists in the DB.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 am 
Another issue that just cropped up (after scanning about 400 machines and adding a couple of users) is that the Network Groups no longer display any detail data other then the Edit button. When I first loaded and scanned about 10 machines it worked correctly.

For example my Network - 10.4.0.0/16 group says that there should be 8 items. When go I click on the group to display the members, I get the title

Network - 10.4.0.0./16 8 Results
then a table with the Edit button and 8 rows of boxes to check and that is all.

Debug shows

[code] URI STRING
/main/list_devices/18

CLASS/METHOD
main/list_devices

MEMORY USAGE
1,868,904 bytes

BENCHMARKS
Loading Time Base Classes 0.0007
Controller Execution Time ( Main / List Devices ) 0.0445
Total Execution Time 0.0453

GET DATA
No GET data exists

POST DATA
No POST data exists

DATABASE: OAv2 QUERIES: 9
0.0002 SET SESSION sql_mode=""
0.0003 SELECT *
FROM (`oa_user_sessions`)
WHERE `session_id` = 'a9804cd9200d08beae4f472065662cd0'
AND `user_agent` = 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:15.0) Gecko'
0.0002 SELECT report_id, report_name FROM oa_report WHERE report_display_in_menu = 'y' ORDER BY report_name
0.0002 SELECT group_user_access_level FROM oa_group_user WHERE user_id = '1' AND group_id = '18' LIMIT 1
0.0002 SELECT group_name from oa_group WHERE group_id = '18' LIMIT 1
0.0002 SELECT * FROM oa_group_column WHERE group_id = '18' ORDER BY column_order
0.0002 SELECT * FROM oa_group_column WHERE group_id = '1' ORDER BY column_order
0.0002 SELECT group_display_sql FROM oa_group WHERE group_id = '18'
0.0006 SELECT system.system_id, system.hostname, system.man_description, system.man_ip_address, system.man_type, system.man_os_family, system.man_os_name, system.man_icon, system.man_manufacturer, system.man_model FROM system, oa_group_sys WHERE system.system_id = oa_group_sys.system_id AND oa_group_sys.group_id = '18' AND system.man_status = 'production' GROUP BY system.system_id [/code]

I think the problem is that there is nothing in the group_display_sql field in the DB, but I'm guessing that for the network groups you use some hard coded display code.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:29 am 

I'm seeing a couple of issues since upgrading from Beta5 to Beta7. My Audi_Domain script is no longer working. Can't recall if it was working in Beta5 or not though!

Should there be any text files in the Bin dir as a guide? There aren't in any of the projects I've downloaded. Do I need RMTSHARE.exe and PSexec.exe when running a 'Local' domain audit - these are in place? The script identifies the domain, counts the number of computers and runs through them in turn - however the number of processes running is 2 throws this error:

cscript output when executing script from Network share:

Obviously domain.local is substituted for my real domain.

[code]Now Auditing: domain.local
select name, location, operatingSystem, lastLogon from 'domain.local' where o
bjectclass='computer'
\\domain.local\SysVol\domain.local\Policies\{827CBE67-B821-49E2-A67B-8DE8B
6D79E71}\User\Scripts\Logon\audit2\audit_domain.vbs(132, 2) Provider: Table does
not exist.[/code]

audit_domain.vbs:
[code]
' the number of audits to run concurrently
number_of_audits = 20

' this tells the script to run the audit from this PC or
' to copy the files to the remote pc and run the script remotely using PSexec

' NOTE - make sure if using the "remote" option that network comms are allowed
' to be iniated at the remote PC, connecting to the OAv2 host
'audit_run_type = "remote"
audit_run_type = "local"

' the below are needed for remote audits as PSexec takes them as command line arguements
' I don't think (could be wrong) that PSexec can use the local logged on users credentials
' If it can, someone please provide me with a "how to"
' NOTE - if using the "local" option, the below are not needed
' remote_user = "domain\username"
' remote_password = "password"

' the name and path of the audit script to use
script_name = "audit_windows.vbs"

' set the below to your active directory domain
domain_array = array("LDAP://domain.local")
local_domain = "domain.local"[/code]

Alongside this issue I am still unable to get Org IDs working via the audit script. If I add a command line switch (e.g audit_windows.vbs org_id='1' or populating the variable in audit_windows.vbs). Anything I can do to test this?

Thanks for your continued hard work.

Cheers,
Gareth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

[quote="aylnews"]I am having problems with the GET, RSS etc to work; I just get a blank screen. I do substitute my username and password accordingly.

Make sure your password in not "password" (sans quotes).

[quote="aylnews"]If I sign in, go to a report and middle click on the RSS link it opens up fine in a new tab and looks great. If I then copy and paste this RSS link (changing password) into a different browser or feed demon or Outlook it does not work.
Damn - that's exactly what I do to test and it works for me. Maybe see above...

[quote="aylnews"]I think the one that works is just using the existing authentication from the other tab to run as I can change the username and password to be whatever I want and it will still run, in fact when I first click the RSS link it puts "password/YOUR_PASSWORD/rss" as the password and runs fine.
If you are already logged in, it disregards the URL, so using a new tab in a browser that already has a session open isn't a valid test.

[edit] I've made a couple of changes and retested. Seems to be working correctly. This will be in 7.2. I tested from a seperate browser using the GET method and tested from WGET for the POST method. Both seem fine (now).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

[quote="wazoqaz"]I just downloaded 7.1 and did a fresh clean install. Everything loads fine, however when I go to the about page it says that I'm running version beta6 and that I need to upgrade the database. When I go to upgrade the DB it give me the following error:

[code]
A Database Error Occurred
Error Number: 1060
Duplicate column name 'location_group_id'
ALTER TABLE oa_location ADD location_group_id int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0'
[/code]
any thoughts as to what I should do as it appears that field already exists in the DB.

Ignore the upgrade request. I'll check it again, but dammit if I haven't done this already. Stay tuned. [edit] Found it. Fixed for next release (7.2).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:09 pm 
Site Admin

[quote="wazoqaz"]Another issue that just cropped up (after scanning about 400 machines and adding a couple of users) is that the Network Groups no longer display any detail data other then the Edit button.

I cannot replicate this. I just installed OAv2 beta 7.1 and scanned a few hosts. Network Groups are being created and populated as expected. Displaying a Group seems fine.

[quote="wazoqaz"]I think the problem is that there is nothing in the group_display_sql field in the DB, but I'm guessing that for the network groups you use some hard coded display code.
Exactly. The line after "SELECT group_display_sql FROM oa_group" is the hardcoded default for when there is no display SQL - "SELECT system.system_id, system.hostname, system.man_description"...

What happens if you log into the database directly and run that last command? You should see a list as per what you would expect in the web interface.

Maybe take a look at your Apache and PHP error logs, as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:14 pm 
Site Admin

[quote="gareth"]My Audi_Domain script is no longer working. Can't recall if it was working in Beta5 or not though

It has always worked.
Check your script_name variable in the audit_domain.vbs script.

[quote="gareth"]Should there be any text files in the Bin dir as a guide? There aren't in any of the projects I've downloaded. Do I need RMTSHARE.exe and PSexec.exe when running a 'Local' domain audit - these are in place?
No and no.

It looks like you are running the audit_domain script at logon of a user. Don't do that. Run audit_windows. The audit_domain script is designed to audit your entire domain, not an individual PC.

[quote="gareth"] I am still unable to get Org IDs working via the audit script. If I add a command line switch (e.g audit_windows.vbs org_id='1' or populating the variable in audit_windows.vbs)
I'll check this out and let you know. [EDIT] - found and fixed. Will be in next release (7.2).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:45 pm 

[quote="Mark"][quote="gareth"]My Audi_Domain script is no longer working. Can't recall if it was working in Beta5 or not though

It has always worked.
Check your script_name variable in the audit_domain.vbs script.

[quote="gareth"]Should there be any text files in the Bin dir as a guide? There aren't in any of the projects I've downloaded. Do I need RMTSHARE.exe and PSexec.exe when running a 'Local' domain audit - these are in place?
No and no.

It looks like you are running the audit_domain script at logon of a user. Don't do that. Run audit_windows. The audit_domain script is designed to audit your entire domain, not an individual PC.

Hi Mark,

This is simply the location of both scripts. The audit_windows script does indeed run at a user logon, however I am attempting the run the audit_domain manually from a command prompt which resides in the same dir.

I will try running the audit_domain script with the audit_windows script locally rather than from a share. [Edit] This was the problem. I was referencing a UNC path for the location of audit_windows in the script variable. When placed both locally the script appears to be working. Thanks for the pointer!

Last edited by gareth on Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:45 pm 

Thanks for your speedy response changing the password has fixed my problems.

On the downside, you have managed to hack my high security system; I am going to have to change my banking password to 123456 now!

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:43 am 
[quote="Mark"]What happens if you log into the database directly and run that last command? You should see a list as per what you would expect in the web interface.

Maybe take a look at your Apache and PHP error logs, as well.

When I ran the query directly in SQL I saw exactly what I expected to see, it just won't display correctly in GUI. Saw nothing out of the ordinary in the apache logs either. I made a backup copy of the DB, blew it away and started fresh again. I'll see if I can recreate the problem.

Ran into another issue when adding a user:

[code]A PHP Error was encountered
Severity: Notice
Filename: controllers/admin_user.php
Line Number: 102
[/code]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:15 am 

The "Provider: Table does not exist" is because you've got a problem with the domain info. I'm not sure why Mark has the domain_array and local_domain variables but if you only have one domain to audit then you should only populate one or the other. And the format of the domain info is "LDAP://domain.local".

[code]' set the below to your active directory domain
local_domain = ""[/code]
or
domain_array = array("")
local_domain = "LDAP://domain.local"[/code]
When you have it defined as below the local_domain is appended to the domain_array which means you'll audit the domain twice which isn't wanted.
local_domain = "LDAP://domain.local"[/code]
If you have it defined like this you should audit the domain successfully based on the domain_array argument and then get the "Table does not exist" error from the local_domain argument as it's missing the "LDAP://"
local_domain = "domain.local"[/code]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next