Registrations to Open-AudIT forums are now closed. To ask any new questions please visit Opmantek Community Questions.

Open-AudIT

What's on your network?
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:45 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

What would you like to see next in OAv2?
NMap scanning 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
Documentation 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
Linux auditing 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
Software Asset Register 59%  59%  [ 24 ]
Online Demo System 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
New Homepage (see markunwin.com) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 41
 Post subject: Next feature?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:42 am 
Site Admin

I only have limited time and I (personally) want ALL of these done. For me it doesn't really matter which order they are done in. One thing of note - some things will take longer than others. I have structured the options that quickest is on top of the list. The further down the list, the longer I think that would take me to complete.

If there is something else you would like, post a comment and I'll add it to the poll.

Post subject: Re: Next feature?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:20 pm 

i voted for software register, but nmap scanning would be nice too.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:14 am 
Helper

For me I voted for the software register, and looking at the results I am not the only one.

I think it makes sense though because most people operate in Windows shops, and keeping track of the software on their machines is more important then the rest of the items on the list.

But since Linux is showing up more and more I think I would put Linux Auditing second.

Auditing: 366 Machines (XP/Win7/Ubuntu)
LDAP: Active Directory

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:36 am 

I would really love to integrate LDAP/AD to the login page. It's really nice for OAv1 and I was missing it from OAv2. Also having the ability to trigger alerts or some kind of OAv1 home screen would be nice. I really like being able to see new systems, software, etc. found.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:48 am 
Site Admin

[quote]I would really love to integrate LDAP/AD to the login page.
So (just making sure I understand), a user of OAv2 goes to the homepage and the web browser sends that users credentials. The OAv2 application then validates this against AD. Single sign on? If you use Internet Explorer I think this can be made happen. If you use any other browser I think you get asked for credentials.

If we just wanted to ask for credentials (as we do now) and validate those against AD then that should be easy enough. It would be consistent across browsers, too. Can put that on the list :-) To be honest, I'm not too worried about trying to make single sign on work.

[quote]Also having the ability to trigger alerts or some kind of OAv1 home screen would be nice. I really like being able to see new systems, software, etc. found.Reports exist for new software, new systems and several other items. You just need to go into the Group you are concerned with and run the report.

I would like to be able to set a group and report and have it automatically generate at a given time and email to a given user. This is on the list (but not high on the list)... Similarly, an authenticated RSS feed would be nice, too...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:44 am 
Contributor

Linux audits using dmidecode for hardware info would be outstanding! Thanks Mark!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:50 am 

http://www.nagios.org/ is a performance monitoring open source application. Over the long end, can it be integrated with Open Audit?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:31 pm 
Site Admin

[quote]http://www.nagios.org/ is a performance monitoring open source application. Over the long end, can it be integrated with Open Audit?

Short answer - no. I have no-where near the time to do that. Same as people asking for a help desk system to be integrated. I simply do not have the time. My aim is to have OAv2 be the best inventory and configuration management tool around... I think that's enough !

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:42 pm 
Helper

[quote="Mark"][quote]I would really love to integrate LDAP/AD to the login page.
So (just making sure I understand), a user of OAv2 goes to the homepage and the web browser sends that users credentials. The OAv2 application then validates this against AD. Single sign on? If you use Internet Explorer I think this can be made happen. If you use any other browser I think you get asked for credentials.

If we just wanted to ask for credentials (as we do now) and validate those against AD then that should be easy enough. It would be consistent across browsers, too. Can put that on the list :-) To be honest, I'm not too worried about trying to make single sign on work.
If you spend a lot of time getting the user signup, signin, ... to work, maybe you could use basic or digest http auth?

[quote="Mark"][quote]Also having the ability to trigger alerts or some kind of OAv1 home screen would be nice. I really like being able to see new systems, software, etc. found.Reports exist for new software, new systems and several other items. You just need to go into the Group you are concerned with and run the report.
In the long run I think it would be nice with 1 single warning page that included all the warnings, like:
arp scanning/switches revealed the following unknowns:
    mac address: 00-0B-DB-C8-AF-88 - new computer?

nmap scanning revealed the following unknowns
    mac address: 00-0B-DB-C8-AF-88 with IPv4 address 10.20.30.40 - new computer?

audit revealed the following new software unknowns:
    A pope Villustrator v4.5

License check revealed the following missing licenses:
    Nacroshift Office: 5 installed 3 licensed

Security check revealed the following old software installed:
    A pope PDF wreader 11.4.2.4.233.4

I can see Open-AudIT knowing from 2 sources which software has which license and if it was a security update.
Source 1, the local installation base, assuming that everyone must have the latest and greatest version number. Possibly with a list of software that must be the latest and greatest.
Source 2, a crowd sourced cloud based solution sort of like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB or http://software.informer.com/ so whenever an Open-AudIT installation notices an installed software package it tries to lookup information about it in the centralized cloud based Open-AudIT software register. It it finds information it asks you to verify it for your local installation, if not it asks you to lookup the information and enter it into your local installation. Both situations report back to the centralized cloud based Open-AudIT software register, making sure that errors in the centralized cloud based Open-AudIT software register are quickly ironed out. Privacy worried can locally disable this lookup, use an anonymized proxy/email or if signup is needed, signup with a fake name.

[quote="Mark"]I would like to be able to set a group and report and have it automatically generate at a given time and email to a given user. This is on the list (but not high on the list)... Similarly, an authenticated RSS feed would be nice, too...
If one can put all the information into one URL, then one could just use crontab to generate and email those reports, leaving you with no work (at the moment). Even if you use some sort of cookie based login then the right wget commands can retrieve and store that cookie for later requesting the report url. So I do not think it is so important that you do it to begin with.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:46 am 
Site Admin

Re: a homepage "report" containing multiple items.
Unfortunately that doesn't scale. Think of an Org with thousands of PCs. This is my Org (7,000). Having a report page like described would be too much. There is typically a hundred "alerts" every day. I don't even bother to manually acknowledge them any more!
Not saying it can't be done, nor that I won't do it but because it would be an actual hinderance to me, it's not high on the list.

AD authentication. Yeah - it's on the list but again, not that high. The way I'm planning to do it would be for Active Directory to simply validate a username + password. OAv2 would still need to track which groups and permissions a given user has.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:10 pm 

I voted Software Asset Register. This is really a good feature and I would love to see it in OAv2.

EDIT: Will there also be custom queries? That's something I Miss in OAv1 :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]